Friday, February 27, 2015

Life in Uganda

So, I've been living in Africa for almost 2 months now... I've been living in Africa for 2 months!  Wow, sometimes it hits me and I can't believe I'm here and other times its as normal as breathing. I'm in Kampala for the weekend and its always a time of reflection and relaxation for me.  My weeks are filled with routine and if you know me, you know I thrive on routines!  My day starts around 6:30am or 7:00am, just depends on what time people start coming to get water, which is right outside my bedroom window, which is also why it wakes me up!  Its a great alarm clock!  I'm at the school by 8am and usually check in at the clinic with Nurse Betty first.  After chatting with her for a few minutes, I head over to the school office to work on my projects.  Right now my projects are all centered around student enrollment and figuring out which kids have reported to school and getting all the information straight for our sponsors back at home.  This year so far we have had around 130 new students enroll. Add that to our over 1000 from last year and we are almost to 1200!  Once I'm done with my projects, we should have a better idea of the numbers!  Its a blessing to be around these children.  Some are very used to me and some still just stare at me and call me muzungu.  Which I've heard translated to wanderer but is a term that is used for white people.  At 10:30am the bell rings to signal that its break time and I head over to the clinic.  In all reality the bell is an old tire rim that is attached to a tree and is banged on with a rock or brick!  The kids have 30 minutes of break time, kind of like recess.  I love hearing them outside the clinic window.  During this time the clinic is open for kids to come in and be seen if they are sick.  Most come in with complaints of fevers, headaches, coughs, colds, abdominal pain and wounds. After the bell rings they head back to class and I go back to the office.  Kids can still come to the clinic during class time but, they must have a note from their teacher.  Kids always come without them so I am learning to be tough and send them back for notes!  When I'm in the clinic by myself I find that more kids come, Nurse Betty says a lot of them are just making up things to come see me!  So I make sure I give lots of hugs and love and not always drugs!  LOL!  At 1pm the bell rings again to signal lunch, which is an hour long, so I head over to the clinic again and take care of the kids.  After lunch I head back over to the office and there I stay until we go home which is anywhere between 4-6pm!  That's my routine!  Next week, I think 2 days a week I will start doing a Bible study with some of the older girls, details are still being figured out.  I thought you might like to see pictures of the clinic!
 
 
 

The TICC Clinic

Our exam and treatment table/area.
 Treatment and exam area
 Our laboratory area where we do Malaria and HIV testing.

 Go ahead and be jealous nurse friends...this is all the charting I have to do!
 Our desk...This is where I eat lunch and every time I think to myself... "I shouldn't be eating in a patient care area!"  LOL, some habits are pretty ingrained!
 Our everyday stock of medications that get used on a daily basis.
 The entry to the clinic, I make the kids come back to my desk because I can't hear them through the glass!
 
 
Hopefully that gives you a better of one of the places I spend most of my time!  I love this little clinic and the work that I get to do there! Until next time just know I love you all and am thinking about you all too!  I'm missing home but this is quickly becoming home too!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment