Saturday, January 31, 2015

What I'm doing...

So, you know I'm in Uganda, and you know that I'm loving it here and that may be all you know!  Well, sit back and read on, I'll tell you a little more...

I'm working/volunteering at a school called Toggo International Children's Center (TICC) in Toggo, Uganda.  No, I'm not in the country of Togo but, rather a small village about 2 hours from Kampala.  TICC was started by Pastor Steven Trint, who is from Uganda and is the director of the school.  Pastor Steve, or dad, as I call him works hand in hand with my church, Bridgeway Christian Church to make sure that the kids in Toggo have a chance at a future with an education that is far above what they would get in the local government schools.  Education is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty and giving the kids the best chance at a bright future.  The school started in 2010 with less than 100 children and now in 2015 we have over 1,000 children!  God has truly blessed this school!  In the 2 years that I have been a part of missions to the school I have seen the growth and blessings first hand. 

The school has children ranging in age from 2 1/2 years old up to over 18 years old.  The older boys tend to not tell us their real age, they are just happy to be getting an education!  Each year we add another class, or grade into our program.  So, this year we will have our first graduating class of Primary 7 students.  That would be like the equivalent to graduating from Jr. High or Middle School.  After Primary school, they go on to Secondary school and then on to University.  Our goal at TICC is to eventually start a Secondary school also so our students can continue on with an excellent education.  We also have a boarding section at TICC.  The older students are required to board because of the rigorous program and the length of their school day.  Other kids who board do so because they live to far to walk to the school everyday or because their home situations are bad, for lack of better term.  TICC works hand in hand with a non-profit called Yaaka Afrika to provide sponsorships for the kids so that they can attend school.  I have 3 beautiful children that I am proud to sponsor! (If you want more info about sponsoring a child, feel free to ask me more!!!)

That tells you a little more about the school but, what am I doing there?  After all, I'm so not a teacher!  As you can imagine with the number of students that we have, many get sick and so we have a working clinic at TICC.  I'm working in the clinic with Nurse Betty, she is from Uganda.  She is actually more of a Nurse Practioner.  She is pretty amazing and I know I will learn a lot from her.  I arrive at the school around 8 am and help in the clinic where needed.  Since we just completed our first week of school we were busy with doing health assessments.  Last term we had an outbreak of measles, mumps and chickenpox so this term we are screening for those things and sending the children home right away to get them out of the student population and keep the rest of the students and staff healthy.  Day to day we deal with a lot of students with wounds, a lot of students with colds and flu, a lot of students with headaches, stomach pains, fevers and the ever constant Malaria.  School has only been in session one week and I've already seen quite a bit.  Some things of course I can't share but, imagine where I am and imagine an issue that faces many people here and you'll probably understand... 

That's just one of my jobs at the school.  When the clinic isn't busy I will be helping in the office on behalf of Yaaka Afrika working on updating the children's information for the sponsorship program.  It a tedious but fulfilling job that I enjoy!  Third, my other project will be to lead a Bible study with a group of girls at the school during their lunch break.  We are still working on the details of everything but, for now that is keeping me busy!  Each day is a little different and a lot the same.  I love sitting in the clinic with the windows open and seeing and hearing the kids playing.  They have such joy!  I hope that helps you understand what I am doing here a little better! 

I'm doing well and loving being here.  Of course, its not always easy.  I'm in a place that is so different from what I know and there is a major adjustment curve!  The kids and their joy and happiness makes it all worth it.  Okay, I'm kind of out of words and just want to be off the computer!  I love you all and if you want to stay in touch, Facebook Messages is the best way.  I don't have wifi out in the village and service can be spotty.  Okay, that's it for now!  I'm off to take tea...

2 comments: