Friday, January 16, 2015

And then there was one...

I've been thinking about updating my blog for a while now but the problem has been that I don't know how to explain everything that is going on or that has happened.  So, I'm just going to start typing and see what comes out!!  Ready???

I've been in Uganda for about 18 days now and it feels like so much longer than that, I mean that in a good way!  My arrival in Uganda started with laughter because there was a miscommunication and no one was there to pick Gordy, Tonya and I up!  We laughed about it and just enjoyed the fact that we were back in a place that we consider home!  It was more funny to us that once we got a hold of our family here, they thought we were pranking them!  LOL!  The rest of the team came in later in the day and then we started right into our leadership conference at Kampala Church.  Kampala Church is the church of Pastor Steven Trint who we have a very close relationship with.  This is the church that we work hand in hand with for every mission so its always like coming home! During the conference leaders from area churches came to worship, pray and hear messages on being Leaders in These times. The conference ended on Dec 31st with an all night prayer and worship service.  It was awesome to bring in the new year focused on my Savior instead of on myself.  What a year this has been already!

After the conference we left Kampala and headed out to the village of Toggo.  Toggo is even more like home!  Its a small village about 2 hoursish from Kampala where our school is.  This is where I feel most comfortable.  While in Toggo we started holding a 3 night crusade in the nearby town of Kapeeka.  It is a place that is dark and steeped in hate.  We could palpably feel the spiritual oppression.  The first night Gordy preached and no one came forward to receive Christ, they were too scared.  It wasn't until the American team left that many people started coming to receive Jesus!  The second night, the feeling was so different, it was as if a veil had been lifted and there was joy starting to poor back into the town! 

Once the crusades were over, we focused on our Kids Camp in Toggo at Toggo International Children's Center.  It's a giant VBS and the kids love it!  I finally preached!  I love these kids, so many of them are my heart.  I really enjoyed getting to know a few new kids as well as see ones I have known for a while!  I got to see my Agnes!  She is so shy with me but finally came and sat on my lap for a while.  She is beautiful and I am looking forward to being with her for an extended period of time!  I also saw my boy Fred, although he is a twin and I can't tell them apart so I just make sure to pay attention to them both!  LOL! 

So, Kids camp was over our team headed back into Kampala.   I felt so happy knowing that my time was not over!!  I was sad to say goodbye to my team but so ready to get on with the work that God has for me here!  The first day after everyone from the team had left was pretty hard but I just have to remind myself that I am with family here!  I just have to get over feeling like the only one here because that isn't true.  The Trint family is my family, I call them dad, mom, sister, brother, niece and nephew and that is what they are!  They take such good care of me too! 

So, I'm still in Kampala and resting up at the moment.  Monday I will head out to the village and start working with Nurse Betty.  I am really looking forward to that!  I will miss my family but I will be surrounded by family there too and all my kids!  How could I not be happy!!!!!!  I think you may have to pry my away from this place with a crowbar! 

I haven't taken many pictures but these are some of my favorite!!

Laynee, Tonya and I on the way to church.

Brandon and his dear daughters, and a photobomber too!!
 

At the beach for William's birthday!

Courtney, she is quickly becoming someone I love more and more and I cherish her friendship!

William, my nephew, is Ben and Courtney's son who they are adopting and hopefully he will be able to go home soon with them!  Until then, I get to take awesome pictures with him!

Laynee, one of the most beautiful people I know!  This girl is such a big piece of my heart, kind of like a daughter, sister and best friend all wrapped into one.
 
 
I could really use some prayers to stay healthy and whole!  So far I've fallen too many times to count, the last one being yesterday and I really twisted both ankles!  Its a little hard to walk today!  Also, last week I stepped on a nail, thankfully I had good shoes on and they deflected the nail to just the side of my foot.  I'm trying to keep it clean!  Also, the bugs seem to love me and I am covered in bites!  So, pray for God's protection around me!!
 
I love you all and will do my best to keep up with my blog.  Once in the village I wont have wifi so I'm not sure how often I will be able to post.  We will just have to see...
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Cheryl.
    After being in Swaziland, I know how much you can love the people !! I will enjoy following your posts and will be praying for you & your health...blessings, Leslie

    ReplyDelete